About ACM India Summer Schools
ACM India Summer School Objectives:
- Inculcating problem solving as a skill, which is not emphasised much in the undergraduate curriculum
- Providing exposure to leading experts, advanced topics and taste of research to motivated students
- Exposing students to research opportunities in the career, whether in academia or industry
Salient Features of Summer Schools:
- Organized at multiple geographical regions in the country
- Conducted by faculty comprising leading experts from academia and industry on advanced topics in computing
- Target audience:
• students in pre-final year of Bachelors and Masters programs
• around 40 students per school: from nationwide applicants, selected based on academic performance, Statement of Purpose etc. criteria
- 2 to 3 weeks full-time course in June-July
- Hosted at an academic institution
Testimonials from earlier Summer Schools:
"The three-week ACM Summer School on Graph Theory and Graph Algorithms explored various topics, providing me a holistic view of the subject and its applicability. Starting from basic concepts like Depth First Search, the school went on to cover deep concepts such as Parameterized Complexity. The classes were scheduled in such a way that enough time was provided for us to understand the concepts and solve the tutorial problems posed to us at the end of each day. Personally, the school proved to be highly beneficial for me since it introduced me to an algorithmic technique that I could exploit to derive a significant result in my research work.
"Looking from the non-academic point of view, the school was well organized in all aspects. The hospitality extended by the organizers was warm and welcoming. The campus infrastructure provided us with various amenities such as gym, library, etc. that we could explore during our free time. There were also some fun activities such as bird watching which boosted networking amongst the diverse participants of the school.
"Overall the school has provided me an experience with numerous takeaways both academically and otherwise."
—S. Vaishali, Summer School 2017 on Graph Theory and Graph Algorithms at IIT Gandhinagar
"I liked this summer school very much. It built a good base about graph theory and then slowly moved towards the advanced topics. It helped me in clearing the interview of TIFR and also in GATE exam. Thank you very much for the school."
—Raj Rajvir, Summer School 2017 on Graph Theory and Graph Algorithms at IIT Gandhinagar
ACM India is pleased to announce ACM India Summer Schools 2019, targeted at pre-final year undergraduate or masters students. In exceptional cases, PhD students or students in other years may also be considered. Geometric Algorithms, Compiler Design and Construction, Machine Learning, Malware, Graph Theory and Algorithms, Game Theory, and Cybersecurity and Data Analytics will be covered.
ACM India started the education initiative CSpathshala in 2016, to teach computing as a science in all schools. The key objectives are to popularise CT and influence education policy to enable its introduction into the curricula. A two-pronged approach has been undertaken, developing a CT curriculum along with teaching aids and working at grassroot levels with schools, training teachers, executing pilot projects and collecting data to demonstrate the feasibility and efficacy of teaching CT.