About ACM India Summer/Winter Schools
ACM India Summer/Winter School Objectives:
- Inculcating problem solving as a skill, which is not emphasised much in the undergraduate curriculum
- Providing exposure to leading experts, advanced topics and taste of research to motivated students
- Exposing students to research opportunities in the career, whether in academia or industry
Salient Features of the Schools:
- Organized at multiple geographical regions in the country
- Conducted by faculty comprising leading experts from academia and industry on advanced topics in computing
- Target audience:
• senior undergraduate students or those enrolled in Masters or higher degree programs
• around 40 students per school: from nationwide applicants, selected based on academic performance, Statement of Purpose etc. criteria
- 1 to 2 weeks full-time course in June-July or December-January
- Hosted at an academic institution
Testimonials from earlier Summer Schools:
"The three-week ACM Summer School on Graph Theory and Graph Algorithms explored various topics, providing me a holistic view of the subject and its applicability. Starting from basic concepts like Depth First Search, the school went on to cover deep concepts such as Parameterized Complexity. The classes were scheduled in such a way that enough time was provided for us to understand the concepts and solve the tutorial problems posed to us at the end of each day. Personally, the school proved to be highly beneficial for me since it introduced me to an algorithmic technique that I could exploit to derive a significant result in my research work.
"Looking from the non-academic point of view, the school was well organized in all aspects. The hospitality extended by the organizers was warm and welcoming. The campus infrastructure provided us with various amenities such as gym, library, etc. that we could explore during our free time. There were also some fun activities such as bird watching which boosted networking amongst the diverse participants of the school.
"Overall the school has provided me an experience with numerous takeaways both academically and otherwise."
—S. Vaishali, Summer School 2017 on Graph Theory and Graph Algorithms at IIT Gandhinagar
"I liked this summer school very much. It built a good base about graph theory and then slowly moved towards the advanced topics. It helped me in clearing the interview of TIFR and also in GATE exam. Thank you very much for the school."
—Raj Rajvir, Summer School 2017 on Graph Theory and Graph Algorithms at IIT Gandhinagar
Previous Summer/Winter Schools
Upcoming Summer Schools
ACM India Summer Schools 2020 Program Cancelled
April 24, 2020: Owing to the extraordinary COVID-19 related circumstances, and in the interest of everyone's safety, the ACM India Summer Schools 2020 program is cancelled. We thank all those who were involved in the planning process as well as the students who applied to the schools. As informed earlier, we will be refunding the application fees to all the students who applied before the fees were waived.
The first ACM India Winter Schools 2019-2020 targeted students in final year Bachelor's program or above. The schools covered High Performance Computing, Cybersecurity, Geometric Algorithms, and Hybrid Cloud.
ACM India started a education initiative, CSpathshala, in 2016, to introduce computational thinking in K-12 education in India. The primary objectives of the initiative are to promote computational thinking and initiate dialogues with government officials and educational boards to influence the education policy and enable the introduction of computational thinking into formal school curricula.